How to Stay 'Cybersafe'
Some useful information for grown ups:
- be aware of your on-line reputation, which consists of information you post about yourself and information posted by others, and consider that when seeking employment, many prospective employers will use publicly available on-line information. Remember, the internet never forgets!
- keep passwords secret and protect access to accounts.
- regularly review your privacy settings.
- discuss expectations with friends - are you happy to be tagged in photos?
- be aware that, increasingly individuals are being held to account in the courts for the things they say on social network sites.
- keep personal phone numbers private.
- keep a record of your phone's unique International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number, keep phones secure and report thefts to the police and mobile operator as soon as possible.
- keep any evidence of an incident, for example not deleting text messages or emails and by taking a screen capture of material, including the URL or web addresses.
- post information and photos about yourself publicly that you wouldn't want employers or colleagues to see.
- retaliate to any incident or inappropriate messages.